Monday, July 27, 2015

Blog Day 27- Update on My Upcoming New School Year

Good Morning!  I am back BTL, I didn't forget you!  I have been away for a bit due to some quality time spent with my friends and family.  Summer is amazing!  I just recently found out that I will be teaching math next year!  I was going to teach ELA, but some positions have moved around and because I can teach math and enjoy teaching either one, I will be a math teacher this coming school year!  The best part is that I get to teach it with my one of my best friends at school, Meg!

I used to not like math when I was a student.  It was frustrating.  I used to go home and practice with my dad and brothers.  They would teach me different strategies and I would get mad because it was like I was learning it all over again at home.

Once I was in college, I loved it!  I loved that I was taught HOW to teach it.  It all became so clear to me that I just needed to find my own way in seeing it differently.  It was easier to find out what is was helpful for in real life.  Now that Common Core is here and more in depth, I can collaborate with my co-teacher and teach with confidence.  YAY!
For today, I will begin to organize my files for my math classes and make folders in my Google Drive.  I will see my co-teacher on Wednesday to see what we can do to start planning.  I will also start researching some new resources for my small resource math classroom.  8th grade math is intense and I want to make sure I start the year off with clear expectations and flow right into functions!!!  I plan to be more reflective and give more feedback to my students this year.  I want to make sure that they understand where they are in their understanding of the content/skill.
I also plan to work on my classroom management.  Having a small resource class can be challenging because some students work ahead while others are way behind.  I have to differentiate at times in order for students to get closer in mastering the skill.  Ahhhh, as I keep writing, I am getting more excited!!!!


I will miss my ELA co-teachers though.  They have taught me a lot these past few years.  The conferences with kids, the closed reading,  the editing of essays, and much more.  I will still be helping my students with their reading and writing because I will have my own homeroom and my caseload of kids.




I was at the lake house with my friend, Alexis and her two daughters, Kaleena and Delilah.  They enjoy it up there so much.  They swam all day and were so happy to be there.  Alexis does a great job in raising her kids.  I am so proud of her.

Now I am watching my two cousins who are more like my niece and nephew.  I watched/babysat them since I was 15.  Elizabeth (14) and Jerry (12) are hilarious and silly kids.  They are typical teenagers who love their devices, snacks, sleep, and any game that is available to play.  We went to go see the movie, PIXELS, last night.  We enjoyed it very much.  A little silly, but cool!

What are you up to!?



No comments:

Post a Comment