Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Blog Day 28- Essentials For My Classroom

It's getting to that time of the year again...school is right around the corner.  August means that I have to get back in the zone and start thinking about what I am going to do.  As usual, I am linking up with BTL for Blog Challenge Day 28!
So far, (since it's still July) I have found some posters that I want to make prior to the start of the year. Being a special education teacher requires much planning and because I know most of my kids, I know what I need for my classroom.  These two posters are for sure going to be ready for day 1!


My students are in 8th grade and this means I should get them ready for high school and get them feeling a bit more independent with their own learning and understanding.  At times they rush through their work in order to move onto their IXL goals, or fun online game.  Or they have the tiniest mistake in their work and don't see it until they turn it in.  Because my school is a 1:1 school (ipads and computers), students have to retake a quick assessment because they know they submitted it wrong or they have to take out a sheet of paper and show their work.  When the paper is asked to come out, Oh man, it's a sound that you don't want to hear over and over again.  It's as if I am asking them to write a handwritten story for me.  So, hopefully with this poster (left) it will help them check their work and feel satisfied in their trial.
The poster on the right is KEY to a resource classroom.  I think I even want to make mini posters of this to put on their tables to remind them too.  Sometimes kids don't think before they talk and they complain in order to get attention or just don't want to do the work alone.  A lot of my kids know how to do it, but they just need the reassurance and confidence in order to complete the steps.  So hopefully, "I can't" and "I don't know" will be taken out of our vocabulary this school year.


Now, the next idea is just what I am thinking today.  But because I am a huge fan of Pac Man and many of students love video games, I kind of want to do this for my bulletin board, except I have to make it 8th grade!  It will take time but I really love it!









Last, but definitely not least, is this website to help me out a bit and refer to once I get teaching. It correlates with Common Core and will help my students FOR SURE!  The Cornerstone is very helpful.  I tend to drop by it some of the time to help with my reflections.  Math isn't just solving and then your done.  Students need to talk about HOW and WHY they got that answer or WHY it is that answer.  Number 4 is exactly what my classroom looks like.  Students struggle with the content and get frustrated, BUT I am there to teach them new strategies and that IT IS OKAY that they can find the same answer by doing it another way than their peer!  I have a lot of energy in the classroom and I get super pumped when I see my students raise their hand and shake it because they want to share "their" way on the board or talk me through the steps to show the whole class!
I am loving Number 10 as well on this page!  Creating digital math notebooks that explain their understanding.  They can make videos that explain how to do it and share it with others!  Oh yes, it's starting already!  I am getting pumped up just thinking about it!

I feel as though I have shared enough today....I will be back!


What are your essentials so far?


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the bulletin board you make! As much as I love summer and sleeping in, I love this time of year too. Can't wait to hang out with you very soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete