Friday, May 20, 2016

May 20, 2016


I am here live at a Literacy PD at Heritage Middle School by Leah O'Donnell!  She is amazing and has so much to share.  Her PD for the 8th grade teachers this morning was called, "Single Point Rubrics for Middle School."  I was thrilled to listen and engaged with many questions and thoughts of my own.  I love sitting at PD's and jotting down notes!

The PD was helpful to know how and when (most importantly) to create a rubric.  According to Leach, "Make sure you make it first before the unit, so that you know what you want your students to be doing in class and by the time the assessment comes."

Another helpful push for me was using these single point rubrics for math explanations next year.  I feel like Meg and I will for sure use Math practices in our rubrics more often next year.  I also want to collaborate more with other 6th and 7th grade math teachers so that we all can agree on what a "3" means on certain topics!

THANKS LEAH, YOU ROCK!

It has been a wonderful change for me this year teaching Math.  I know many of my close friends and family know that I love it, but I just have to keep saying it.  More excitingly is that I get to do it next year with the same co-teacher, my friend, Meg Navolio.

I hate that I haven't shared more here on blog from everything I have learned, planned, and accomplished this school year.



2 comments:

  1. So good to hear about your single-point rubric PD, and great tip from Leah about making the rubric first! Beatriz and I are presenting to 8th grade teachers on June 6th and WIDA standards and incorporating them into content area teaching, but if I'm lucky I'll see you before then :-)
    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to have time to see down and read blogs, so I'm sorry it took me so long to find this! It was great talking with your guys that day! You all asked such good questions, and I could see how dedicated your team it. I'm glad to hear that you and Meg are coteaching! What a great combo.

    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete