Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Challenge Accepted-Day 2

Good Morning!  I am so excited to wake up and begin my morning with a blog.  It is a beautiful day...but I must give some TLC to my house before going anywhere!  The prompt for today is
     How long and in what capacities have you been in education?

Since 2005, I knew I wanted to be a special education teacher.  I started working for WSSRA (West Suburban Special Recreational Association) and I fell in love with the responsibilities in caring for individuals with disabilities.  I began with preschool aged kids and then as the years went on I even did programs with adults with disabilities.  

In college ,at Eastern Illinois University, the classes were tough in the beginning and there were perquisites one after another.  I enjoyed the challenge, but at the same time realized that teaching in classroom was even a bigger passion for me.  I wanted to help students reach goals and have them love to learn.  I loved to learn about behavior management and understand how to teach students to manage their behavior in the classroom.  I always thought I would be teaching younger students until I met my mentors at Heritage Middle School.  

Julia Bray, Michelle Brezek, and Michelle Hauer all helped me each and everyday through the teaching, classroom management, collaboration, and even how to be a coach for a sports team.  I knew after working with them that I wanted to be in middle school.  Of coarse when I began my interviews the following year, I wanted a job anywhere, but Heritage Middle School accepted me and hired me in 2012!  

I now teach 7th and 8th in co-taught classrooms and love it!  I also met my friend and colleague, Rachel Belkov and have the pleasure to work with her everyday.  We mesh very well together and she has taught me to think positive and grow relationships with the students.  By doing this, students have more trust with you and their willingness increases within the classroom.  

I am ready for my third year of teaching and can't wait for what will come in the future!  

I also want to share this link because it's very interesting and I would love to keep this in mind for my students.

 

3 comments:

  1. You blogging makes me so happy! I'm so glad you ended up in Middle School - You're amazing with the age group!
    I see you linked up your twitter....and not just the screen shot like we did yesterday! #win :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you finding your passion! Isn't it crazy when we think we need are on one path, it totally changes and leads us somewhere even better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are lucky to have you at Heritage!

    ReplyDelete