Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Day 1-social justice

I've just finished the first day of school and found that my 8th graders are more grown up and seem eager to learn more.  I am very excited to get the year started!

My co teacher, Rachel is amazing and has introduced me to the topic of social justice and teaching it within the classroom.  Two years ago we had a wonderful group of kids who were motivated to help different organizations and really showed their passion for what they cared about.
If you aren't quite sure what I mean by social justice, please go on and read Rachel's blog. She clearly states and defines it so well. She says, "a social justice superhero is someone who wants to make the world a better place.  This can mean someone who dedicates their entire life to creating worldwide change, but it can also be someone who lives their life meaningfully.  Someone who recognizes that they have a voice and a choice when it comes to doing the right thing.


http://sjsuperheroes.blogspot.com/    (Rachel's blog)

We are going to ask our new 8th graders who has been someone influential in their life similarly to Elissa and other upstanders.
One person in my life that has always shown me to be patient and accept others is my boyfriend, Shpend.  He sees the world so differently from me.  He lived in Kosovo until he was 13 and then moved here because of the war.  He went through a lot but found ways to stay positive and to care for others.  Shpend makes me more grateful for the childhood I had, the lifestyle I live now, and opens my eyes to everything around me.


To Be Continued...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so lucky to have such a kind, helpful, terrific co-teacher like you, Coco! So glad we are on this social justice journey together!

    ReplyDelete